Value-driven Cybersecurity: Which Security? Whose Values?
19 June 2019
Vrije Universiteit Brussel, Pleinlaan 5, Lisbon Room
The CANVAS Consortium – Constructing an Alliance for Value-driven Cybersecurity – during the three-year period actively contributed and shaped discussions on ways to attain value-driven cybersecurity regulation in the EU. Numerous deliverables were prepared, and a rich variety of dissemination events were held to address technical, legal, ethical and societal issues concerning the ever-expanding realm of cybersecurity regulation.
To bring together different takes on the perception of cybersecurity, its regulation, ethical challenges and education, the CANVAS Consortium is organising the final conference. The event will address the most pressing issues, such as the scope of cybersecurity domain in the EU, democratic electoral processes and ethical dilemmas of identifying and reporting data vulnerabilities. Within interactive panel discussions with external experts, the Consortium members will provide an integrative view on CANVAS results, such as policy briefing papers, a massive open online course (MOOC) and recommendations for reference curriculums.
The event will be concluded by the session anticipating the future of the cybersecurity domain in the EU and in particular the development of cybersecurity competence centres.
We invite you to join us!
The conference (including lunch and reception) is free of charge. Please note that registration is required to facilitate catering. Register here.
Find a programme here: pdf fileProgramme_Canvas.pdf (58 KB).
9:00-9:30 Reception & coffee
9:30 – 9:45 Opening word & recap of the CANVAS project
- Markus Christen, University of Zurich
9:45 – 10:30 Mapping the cybersecurity domain in the EU
- Eva Schlehahn, Unabhängiges Landeszentrum für Datenschutz Schleswig-Holstein (Kiel DPA)
- Nicole van der Meulen, Europol
- Aristotelis Tzafalias, DG Connect, European Commission
Moderator: Maša Galič, TILT, Tilburg University
10:30 – 11:00 Coffee break
11:00 – 11:30 Cybersecurity in the European Union: Resilience through Regulation
- Keynote by Ramses Wessel, Centre for European Studies, University of Twente
11:30 – 12:30 Cybersecurity for democracy: Electoral process and beyond
- Antti Vähä-Sipilä, F-secure
- Vagelis Papakonstantinou, LSTS, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
12:30 – 13:30 Lunch
13:30 – 14:30 Ethical dilemmas of identifying and reporting data vulnerabilities, incidents and data breaches
- Karine de Silva, Morrison & Foerster
- James Caffrey, DG Connect, European Commission
Moderator: Lina Jasmontaite, LSTS, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
14:30 – 15:30 Teaching value-sensitive cybersecurity
- Dominik Herrmann, University of Bamberg
- Gwen Morgan, Institute of Ethics, Dublin City University
- Alberto Blanco-Justicia, Universitat Rovira i Virgili
15:30 – 15:45 Coffee break
15:45 – 17:00 Taking cybersecurity forward by building competence centres
- Thibaud Antignac, The French Alternative Energies and Atomic Energy Commission (SPARTA)
- David Goodman, TDL (CyberSec4Europe)
- Wim Mees, Royal Military Academy (ECHO)
- Vassilis Prevelakis, Technical Universityof Braunschweig (CONCORDIA)
17:00 – 17:15 Wrap up & next steps for the cybersecurity domain
- Gloria González Fuster, LSTS, Vrije Universiteit Brussel
17:15 – 18:30 Reception